A Word About Late Work

As of February 10, any work that is considered "classwork" (to be completed in class) will not be accepted late. If it is not turned in when it is due (during class), it will be a zero.

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Day 4: Anthem Test Review

  1. Journal “Looking back” – Review your journal from November 12 (“I, Unique”). Which of your personal values, goals, and loves would be allowed in the society portrayed in Anthem? Why would any of them be forbidden?
  2. Turn in vocabulary homework
  3. Chapters 10-12 Quiz
  4. Essay assigned. Students were to brainstorm (briefly) for each of the 6 topics. This was supposed to be turned in. Link to essay assignment and topics.
  5. Test Review: Students broke up into 4 large groups, answered specific questions from the review, then returned to their usual groups to share and discuss answers. Link to test review.
  6. Examples of concepts in Anthem

Individualism "I am not a tool for their use. I am not a servant of their needs. I am not a bandage for their wounds. I am not a sacrifice on their altars. I am a man." (page 95)

Individualism/Egoism:"I wished to know the meaning of things. I am the meaning. I wished to find a warrant for being. I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." (94)

Altruism
"If you are not needed by your brother men, there is no reason for you to burden the earth with your bodies" (22)
"Indeed you are happy…how else can men be when they live for their brothers" (45)

Egoism
"My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose." (95)

Conformity
"It is not good to be different from our brothers…" (21)

Obedience
"You shall do that which the Council of Vocations prescribe for you…for the Council knows…better than you" (22)

HOMEWORK:
Study Questions for each chapter
Vocabulary Chapters 10-12 (the ones you missed on the pre-test)
If you want today’s quiz before the test, come by after school today or tomorrow!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Welcome to Mrs. Woodliff's blog. The primary purpose of this site is to provide daily class updates and information to students, parents, teachers, and others who are interested. Students, if you are absent or need a reminder of what went on in class, please check here first! Please do not rely on this site for communicating with me. If you have questions or concerns, e-mail or call me!